Auntie H

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Couponing

I have to admit, and those who know me know this, I tend to use coupons. Shocker, I know. In fact, I overuse coupons. Yes, I said I overuse them. If a product has a coupon, I will more than likely buy that item just because of the savings. So essentially, the couponing people win with me.

However, I would like to share an amazing milestone in my couponing habit. Just the other day I needed (yes, needed) an item. More specifically I needed deodorant (see the need?) But one item, and one item only was what I needed. But because of my coupon addiction, the following dialog occurred in my head:

Ooooh, I have a coupon for that at home somewhere (mind you, I’m approx. 5-6 miles from home)

I think it’s for $.35 off. If I go to Dillons (another 5-6 miles away from my home the other direction) that will be doubled!

But….it will take me at least 15 extra minutes to go home, get the coupon, travel to a farther location, just for the sake of a coupon.

Don’t do it! Don’t do it! Resist the urge! Simply stop by Hen House (within .25 miles of your home) on the way and buy it full price!

What? Full price!? At Hen House? It’s gonna be like so much more expensive!!

But…think of gas prices. $2.70 per gallon! At 30 mpg, it will cost you 1/3 gallon to travel 10 miles out of your way…that’s $.90, which easily cancels out the $.70 savings. (I know you math people are following…)

Dun, tada! And thus, my reasoning skills have defeated my penchant for couponing…this time.