Auntie H

Thursday, June 08, 2006

I'll take the compliment

As I was walking through the plaza last Friday at noon with a friend, I was particularly enjoying the beautiful weather and the ambience of the area. Upscale shops displaying high-priced clothing and gadgets, luscious foundations blowing mist into the breeze, occasional street performers playing their instruments - and best of all, a few grubby homeless men sitting Indian-style along the curbs. Normally, I drop a few coins in their cups, or pass by undisturbed, but this particular day I was in for a treat.

Up ahead, a gentleman was sitting on the sidewalk holding a worn cup in his hand, with his arm extended, robotically spouting his request to every passer-by: “I’m saving money for a down payment for a car, do you think you can help me out?” Few would respond. As we drew near the man, my friend and I were lightly chatting, and the beggar began, “I’m saving money for a down—“ he stopped abruptly, interrupting himself and said, “you have the most beautiful smile,” looking directly at me. “Well, thank you,” I replied, smiling even bigger at the irony of the situation. Perhaps I should have paid for the compliment, but instead, I took it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home