Auntie H

Thursday, June 01, 2006

On your guard at all times: the art of FSBO.

I was standing in line at Costco, ready to pay for my bag o’ shrimp, pizza and milk (the basics) and my cell phone rings…I look at the number and don’t recognize it but realize I have to pick it up because it may be a realtor with a client...okay...but it’s 8 p.m.! Simultaneously, it’s my turn to pay. Apoligetically I look at the clerk who starts ringing me up, and I hear “this is so-and-so, with Reece and Nichols. I have a client who’s interested in seeing your place.” Tonight!? Now!?

Uh...”Sure, I can be there in 20 minutes to let you in, will that work? Great, thanks.”

My heart beats faster in anticipation, I profusely apologize to the clerk and rush out the door, making a mental checklist of all the things I left out before my errand: my bank statements and computer files, my purse and a few folders, a change of clothes, oh...and the DOG! Poor doggy. She senses my urgency as I return home and freaks out as I run around the house opening the blinds, wiping out the sink, turning on lights, fluffing pillows and making sure everything is in its place. I throw her in her kennel in the back of my car and pull into a nearby parking spot and wait. I look at the clock...20 minutes on the dot. Now what? I decide to call the agent back and explain that I had been in line at a grocery store and apologize for the terse response. “No problem...we’re right around the corner and will be there shortly.”

Could this be the one? The next owner of our condo? After all this, it better be. The agent was friendly and the client looked promising. I told them I had to go get the mail and to feel free to look around. Upon returning I asked them if they wanted anything to drink (we have tons of drinks left over from the open house) and mentioned a few key phrases of my “sales pitch” as part of the final conversation.

Whew, big breath. Now...we wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home